Skip to Content

Cutler Bankruptcy Documents

There is an awful lot of number crunching required to file for bankruptcy, and it’s easy for debtors to miss a few numbers here and there. You can file amended bankruptcy forms to correct these errors. Of course, it’s preferable to avoid making mistakes at all, since it’s possible that certain errors might be viewed as an attempt at fraud. The most effective way to avoid these problems is to have an attorney at a bankruptcy law firm handle the paperwork for you. The peace of mind will be worth it.

Noticing a Mistake

As soon as you become aware that you’ve made a mistake, contact your attorney. You’re allowed to file amended forms any time before your case is closed, but it’s best to deal with this promptly to avoid any snags. If you haven’t yet had the meeting of creditors, you’ll need to bring a copy of the amended petition to the hearing.

Filing a Motion to Amend

Your lawyer will file a motion to amend the forms with the bankruptcy court. This is a simple document that asks the court to allow you to file the amended forms. Then, the other involved parties, such as your creditors, will receive notice of this development.

Amending the Bankruptcy Forms

If you didn’t hire a lawyer to prepare your original petition, you should have one prepare your amended forms to avoid any additional mistakes. You shouldn’t have to amend the entire petition—just the forms affected by the mistake. Individual courts may have other requirements for amended forms, such as the requirement to attach a cover page. Along with the amended forms, you’ll have to file a new declaration. The declaration is a legally binding statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that all of the information contained in the petition is true.

Here at Cutler & Associates, Ltd., we understand how overwhelming bankruptcy proceedings can be. We’re here to help by preparing your petition for you, answering your questions, and paving the way for a successful discharge. Get back on track with your personal finances by calling our law firm in Schaumburg at (847) 961-4572.